If you would like to report a discrepancy in the Member information, please complete the correction form and mail the form along with a copy of the Member information screen and any supporting documentation.
Questions and Answers
Total Creditable Years of Service
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1. What is the Member Information?
The ERS is providing the members with their “Retirement Account” which includes (1) Total Creditable Years of Services and (2) Account Balance (retirement contributions and interest) at a specific period in time.
2. Who can I call to get more information on the member information or if I’m having log in issues?
You may contact the following offices on your island for assistance:
- Hawaii (808) 974-4076
- Kauai (808) 274-3011
- Maui, Molokai & Lanai (808) 984-8282
- Oahu (808)586-1735
3. How is the service credit calculated?
A member will receive 1 month of service if the member worked at least 15 calendar days per month (14 calendar days for the month of February).
4. How often will the service credit be updated?
The ERS is planning to update the information every six months which may change depending on the complexity of the updates.
5. How do we go about to correct any discrepancy with the service credit totals?
You must complete the Correction Form from our website at http://ers.ehawaii.gov and attach a copy of your Retirement Account information from the online service with your correction. Please provide your documentation on why the information should be corrected to assist with our research.
6. How long will it take for the correction on the next update?
It depends on how much research must be done with your current and former department(s) as well as the deadline for the next online update.
7. Why is the total service credit not the most current information?
The data available in our system was extracted in July 2015 to review and launch in August 2015. The date indicated on your Retirement Account on the website is the date the data was processed by the ERS at that time.
8. How were the account balances calculated for the members?
The account balance is comprised of your retirement contributions deducted from your salary reported by your department with interest based on your retirement plan and membership date. In addition, your account balances includes any payment you made to purchase or upgrade any service. You can visit our website at http://ers.ehawaii.gov and view your retirement plan.
9. Why does the “Account Balance as of Date” vary?
The different balance dates are due to departmental reporting of the payroll information to the ERS as well as our processing timeframe.
10. How do I know if the account balance is correct?
The system uses the retirement contributions deductions from your gross salary that is reported by your department. Interest is then applied to your retirement contributions. You may report any discrepancies on the Correction Form.